Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
image credit: https://mesopotamianhistory.files.wordpress.com/2015/08/cropped-banner.jpg
Skim & Scan
To skim, read:
- lead and ending
- first sentence of each paragraph
- images and captions
To find the main idea:
- Find the most important word or phrase.
- What is the text saying about that word or phrase?
- Know what information you need.
- Make a list of related keywords.
- Look or CTRL+F for those keywords. Headings help!
- Read the sections where those words are found
Skim & Scan SLideshow
Created using Visme. The Free Online Presentation Tool.
Society/ Social Class
- Social Class
- Gender/ Family roles
- Traditions/ lifestyle
- Laws are needed, justice served
- There are wars and revolutions
- The political power depends on the type of government.
Interactions between Human/ Environment
- Geography is important for interactions
- How do people live in those environments?
- How did the people get there?
- Religions, beliefs, and their practices
- They studied philosophies and ideologies
- Science - tech - education
- Art + architecture
- Labor systems
- Agriculture, manufacturing business, etc.